It has been a week of interviews, four to be exact. You know the saying ‘it never rains but it pours’? Well, that’s my life right now and I really want to be positive and say ‘finally!’ but it’s stressing me out a bit. I have three job prospects at the moment. One is moving very quickly and the other two, not so much. But, as it always goes with life, you want what you can’t have.
Here’s my predicament, maybe the people of the interwebs can offer me some wisdom.
- Job #1 is an EA/Project Manager role for a recruitment company. It’s my first preference and offers the middle pay rate. It’s three days a week with flexible days (their preference for days matches up with mine) and would allow me to do both admin stuff and possibly some writing and marketing/social media. So definitely the most varied and interesting role, at this point. On Monday, I went for the second interview (first interview with the actual people I’d be working with, the first was with the recruiter) and am waiting to hear back. I think it went well but obviously have no real idea.
- Job #2 is an EA role supporting three heads of business at a CRM/cloud computing company. It’s three days a week with flexible days and this job offers the highest rate of pay. The heads of business have never had any support before so the role would really be mine to own and make what I wanted. It’s initially only a 6 month contract, with the possibility to extend or go permanent part-time if I kick ass and make myself indispensable. At this stage, I’ve only met with the recruiter but she’s confident I’d be a great fit with the team (she’s placed support staff with them before). The challenge (should I choose to accept it) is to get an interview because the three people that need to meet with me are really busy (which is why they need an EA, I suppose!). They missed out on their last candidate because they couldn’t tee up an interview in time and she got snapped up. I’m tentatively scheduled for Tuesday afternoon at this stage. Now time wouldn’t normally be a huge issue but…
- Job #3 is moving really fast. It’s an EA/Team Assistant role and I went for a first interview on Tuesday afternoon. They had me back in Wednesday morning for a second interview and wanted to conduct the final interview today (Thursday) but I managed to push it back to Monday. This job is for an investment bank and is the lowest paid of the three (although still acceptable). I liked the people I met and it seems like it would be a great team to work with but maybe not the most fascinating job at all times (although what job is?). They want someone in ASAP which is why they’re moving really quickly.
Now, I’m a firm believer in the phrase ‘a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush’ (I know, I know, I’m just killing it with the old adages today, you can thank me later). So, part of me wants to just take job #3, if it’s offered to me, and just be done with the whole job search thing once and for all (or for a while at least). Thing is, it’s a one year contract but they want someone who’s in it long term as they know it will roll over to permanent and they don’t want to have to find someone new in 12 months time. I’m just not sure I’ll be that engaged with this role. Perhaps I will, who knows but I know I want jobs #1 and #2 more.
BUT… they’re not certain. I could turn down #3 only to miss out on #1 and #2 and be left with nothing. Perhaps I can hold #3 off for a bit to see how the other two play out but I’m 99% sure I won’t be able to hold them off longer than the end of next week. And that would probably be pushing it. If I do well on Monday afternoon, they’d most likely hope I’d start on Wednesday.
You know what, all this worrying could be for nothing. I could spectacularly fail my final interview yet I’m stressing myself out about this now when nothing is certain. How about we just let the days play out as they will and see what happens? I’m just going to take a breath and, to quote the inimitable Eddie Murphy, “have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up”.
Image credit: Karen Sebelin | Google+